Private Charter Yacht Vacation in Greece
With over 6,000 islands in the Aegean and Ionian Sea combined, Greece takes the term of island hopping to a whole new level. Greece comprises six major island groups determined by geographic location: Cyclades, Sporades, Dodecanese, Saronic, Ionian Island, and North Aegean Islands.
Immerse yourself in the Greecian culture with a private yacht charter vacation. Cruise through the sparkling turquoise waters and experience a bygone era. Abound with ancient landmarks, pristine beaches fringed with clear blue water, a vibrant culture and authentic Mediterreanean cuisine, each island has its own unique story to tell.
Cruise through the Cyclades on a private yacht and discover the buzzing islands of Santorini and Mykonos. Explore the Western coastline of Greece by cruising through the Ionian Islands. Visit the infamous Shipwreck beach on Zakynthos, noted for its pristine stretch of sandy beach and deep turquoise waters, home to some of the best diving in the world. No matter which island group you decide to charter through, an exciting history lesson and vibrant cultural experience awaits.
Greece Charter Cruise Itineraries
With over 6,000 islands to explore, Greece offers a variety of yacht charter cruising itineraries including:
If flying into Athens, the Saronic and Cyclades Islands are the most convenient and popular charter destinations. These islands are easy to reach and explore within a week’s time frame. Beginning a charter in Athens to either Ionian or Dodecanese Islands requires at least 10 to 14 days minimum. However, both the Ionian and Dodecanese Islands have their own international airports, allowing easy access to embark and disembark.
- Saronic Islands - Located 25 miles from Athens.
Major islands include: Poros, Hydra, Spetses, Aegina.
Because of their proximity to Athens, the Saronic Islands were one of Greece’s first island vacation destinations and remain a popular cruising destination today. Recommended time frame of 5-7 days.
- Cyclades Islands - Located 45 miles southeast of Athens.
This island group consists of 220 islands, the major islands:
Mykonos, Santorini, Sifnos, Serifos, Naxos, Paros, Antiparos, Delos, Amorgos, Milos, Folegandros.
These islands are further apart than Saronic Island group and because of this, the distance should be considered when chartering a yacht. Additionally, the wind is another point to consider. Because the Cyclades are located in the center of the Aegean Sea, they lie unprotected by the mountainous mainland. When meltémi ( strong, seasonal north wind of Force 5 to 6, sometimes as high as Force 8 or 9) kicks up, it results in rough weather and potential for the Port-Authorities to impose sailing bans. The meltémi occurs in late July through August and has potential to blow sporadically in late June and early September.
- Dodecanese Islands - Located in southeastern Aegean Sea. 12 Islands. Approximately 250 miles from Athens and requires at least two weeks of charter time (if beginning from Athens). Major islands include: Rhodes, Kos, Kalymnos, Kastellorizo, Symi
- Sporades Islands - Located in the Northwest Aegean Sea. Skiathos, Skopelos, Skiros, Alonissos.
- Ionian Islands - Located off the West Coastline of Central Greece and to the south of Peloponnese. Corfu, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Lefkada, Paxi, Kythira.
The Ionian Islands are approximately 200 miles from Athens. If departing from Athens, the transit requires an expensive transit through the Corinth Canal and charterers should plan for a 10-14 day charter minimum.
Greece Charter Yacht Season
April through October
Peak season is early July into late August.
Greece Charter Vacation Activities
Saronic Islands Activities:
- Explore Plaka District in Athens
- Donkey ride in Hydra
- Explore Aegina, Greece’s original capital
- Explore the famous Lemon forest in Poros
- Windsurf in Paros
- Diving in Agistri
- Amphitheatre in Epidavros
Cyclade Islands Activities:
- Akrotiri in Santorini
- Mystique Spa in Santorini
- Scuba Dive in Nea Kameni and Santa Maria Wreck in Santorini
- Scuba Dive Anna II Wreck in Mykonos
- Nammos Beach club in Mykonos
- Cruise to Delos, an uninhabited island full of archeological delights
Sporades Islands Activities:
- Visit the Church of Agios IonnisKastri in Skopelos, also known as the Mamma Mia church because this is where some scenes of the movie were filmed.
- National Marine Park of Alonissos. This is an animal sanctuary and an important breeding ground for many species of fish, birds, reptiles and mammals.
Ionian Islands Activities:
- Zakynthos Shipwreck Beach the infamous sandy cove home to an iconic shipwreck and dramatic cliffs.
- Blue Caves on Zakynthos
- Diving off of Lefkada Island
- Paxos Music Festival in September
- Old Town of Corfu (UNESCO Heritage Site)
- Melissani Caves
- Explore Vlicho Village in Lefkada
Dodecanese Islands Activities
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Rhodes
- Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights - Rhodes
- Acropolis of Rhodes